Re: F11 - X forwarding display problem

Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 05/31/2009 11:53 AM, John wrote:

[john LT-02 ~]$ ssh -v LT-01 -X
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
[john LT-01 ~]$ ls -lZ $XAUTHORITY
drwxrwxr-x. john john unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0 bin

It looks like XAUTHORITY isn't set, which means that you probably don't have "xauth" in your path (it's probably not installed).  Install xorg-x11-xauth, and then log in again.  On your next login, sshd should create the XAUTHORITY file.

Having said that, if xauth is missing, you should see an error stating that in the output of "ssh -v", which you don't.  That's very odd.  I'm fairly certain that the problem is the missing XAUTHORITY variable, I'm just not sure why it's missing.

If xauth is present, try creating a new user on the system, and see if you have the same problem when you log in to that account.

xorg-x11-xauth was already installed. I created a new user and tried to login. Here is the output:

  [john LT-02 ~]$ ssh -X tom lt-01
  tom lt-01's password:
  /usr/bin/xauth:  creating new authority file /home/tom/.Xauthority
  [tom LT-01 ~]$ gedit

  (gedit:2969): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
  [tom LT-01 ~]$