EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 1 18:38:56 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Beartooth wrote:
>
>>> In any case, I decided to try Fedora-10, and found that much more to my
>>> liking. It actually worked better on my EeePC-4G, eg WiFi (to my
>>> surprise) worked out of the box, while eeebuntu seemed to require
>>> madwifi .
>
>> 	I have the 701, one of the earliest smallest slowest, and have
>> been trying one distro after another. I did not get the good result with
>> F10 that others did -- some error of mine, no doubt, but I don't know
>> what.
>
> My EeePC is also a 701.
> As far as I can see, Fedora-10 runs exactly the same on this machine
> as on my other laptops.
> Is your objection to Fedora-10 itself?
> (In which case you might like Eeebuntu.)
> Or is there some problem with running Fedora-10 on this machine?
>
> If I had my time again I would probably use ext2 rather than ext3
> as I have seen some warnings against ext3 on SSDs.
> I don't know if it is possible to downgrade an existing system?

The tune2fs program supports using an external journal, I didn't see an option
to remove the journal from a filesystem, but you can use a mount option to force
mount as ext2 (or could the last time I tried) a thus avoid the issue. That's as
close to downgrading as I can help you get.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>