WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 1 19:21:06 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Is there a driver wrapper for printers out there (similar to
>> ndiswrapper)? If not, there should be :P
>
> No, there shouldn't! We'll never get native, Free drivers that way. I don't
> want to have to use crappy buggy proprietary drivers which weren't even
> written for my operating system! Ndiscrapper (misspelling intentional) is a
> problem, not a solution.

Are you saying if I scrap ndiswrapper you will write a driver? I'll give you a
list of hardware, if you have some time.

> Buy a supported printer! (I recommend HP models supported by HPLIP without
> the binary "plugin". Most HP printers are, but check the compatibility list
> to be sure.)

If I scrap my unsupported hardware will you buy me new? And clients, they will
probably scrap their old hardware if someone will buy new. If I told them they
would have to buy hardware themselves they would scrap Linux, and be cost justified.

You are mixing religious zeal with affordability, or something. It's something
you can practice for personal use (donate to the cause of your choice), or if
your employer will buy what you want. If I have to buy it out of my business
budget, or get someone to pay for it, there needs to be a compelling business
reason.

I don't disagree with your point, but it's not an option for many users. And if
I get someone using Linux with ndiswrapper it's easier to influence new hardware
buys.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>