Re: WSJ - Article on Linux netbooks

On Monday 01 June 2009 19:56:20 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > Not always easy.  I printed out the whole list of known-to-work webcams,
and
> > couldn't find one of them in the store.  No box ever tells you what
chipset
> > is being used.  In the end I bought a cheap own-brand webcam.  To my
surprise
> > it worked with the gspca driver!
> >
> Then you have to find application software to use the camera. I have been
using
> xawtv to record off the webcam, but it needs a font from some unavailable
> package. I loaded all the fonts which are on my FC10 partition to FC11, and
no
> go. I really want a cli application, but that's another issue, I'm back to
FC10
> for now.

I haven't used the webcam for some time.  When I have time to spare I'll
investigate it again, but since I have no actual use for it, it will have to
wait.  All I can say is that once I had the gspca driver installed I could
use it.  IIRC xawtv had stopped working by then.  I believe I used camstream
in its place.  Amsn was perfect for keeping in touch with the grandchildren.

Anne