Re: Graphics card recommendation?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 15:19 +0100, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
2009/6/1 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan gmail com>:
T&L capability
Texture and Lighting capability.

While I agree that it's a stupid acronym, it's part of a fairly
generic "you can't run this game because..." error which has been
pasted verbatim.
Fair enough, though I wonder how many non-gamers would recognize it.

As the OP, I had never heard of T&L and am certainly no gamer,
but that is what the error log complains of.
As far as I can see, it is a standard acronym,
and it would be as odd to call it Texture and Lighting
as it would be to call PCI <whatever PCI stands for>.

Which reminds me - apparently there is a second hurdle
I have to get over, which is to distinguish between PCI and PCI-E.
I think the Asus K8V-MX motherboard I am concerned with
provides PCI slots, not PCI-E.

Try "dmidecode | grep -i pci" and see.  PCI Express = PCI-E.  My
M3N78-VM has both:

[root hamster ~]# dmidecode | grep -i pci
	PCI is supported
	Designation: PCIEX1
	Type: 32-bit PCI Express
	Designation: PCIEX16
	Type: 32-bit PCI Express
	Designation: PCI1
	Type: 32-bit PCI
	Designation: PCI2
	Type: 32-bit PCI

Also there is something about AGP, but I'm not sure
how significant that is, or if it is universal nowadays.

A lot of video cards plug into AGP slots.  dmidecode can tell you.

Graphics cards are much more complicated than I thought.

Heheheheh!  Amen, bruddah!
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -