Re: Blocking an IP for one user

Paul wrote:
Hi,

My son is getting to that "funny" age whereby I need to keep certain
sites away from him.

Is there any way that I can block an IP address or certain keywords from
his user settings so that it doesn't matter which browser he uses, he
can't access them?

For example, I want to block the BBC websites wholesale or anything with
the words Microsoft, MSN or Hotmail in the URL - you get the idea - but
also an IP range such as 172.168.*.*

You can add one line to iptables to log every outgoing TCP connect at the sync level, and then just browse the list in the log. Knowing you are doing this will help him learn about anonymous redirection networks, proxies, etc. It is unlikely that you will keep him in check unless you simply block everything except "pure" content.

If you block the BBC don't let him read the papers either, they report on sex and senseless violence.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>