EeePC - Fedora or Ubuntu?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 2 23:39:31 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> I'd say the same about KDE.  There seems to be too much shovelling in of
> features into the desktop, whereas a simpler desktop and optional
> add-ons where you want those features, may be better.
>
> e.g. Nautilus is useless as a file manager, it's just a file browser.
> I'd get rid of it, but it's a part of the whole desktop.  Like the
> engine behind MSIE is also the Windows desktop.  A problem in it, is an
> unavoidable problem with everything else.

It's called "code reuse". It doesn't make sense to implement file browsing
multiple times, once for the desktop to display the Desktop folder and once
for everything else. That's also why the KDE 4 folder view plasmoid is in
kdebase (not kdebase-workspace) and shares code with Dolphin and Konqueror.

        Kevin Kofler