Questions with rsync

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jun 3 13:03:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 03:02 -0700, GMS S wrote:
> Will this command do the job for backup?
>
> rsync -vpa / /home/user/backup
>
> How would I exclude these files below:
>
> /lost+found
> /media
> /mnt
>
> and others which I do not need.
>
> And what is the compression lever by rsync (using -a option)?
----
I would pretty much recommend that you specifically omit /dev and /proc
too.

Save the filter to a text file and make it look something like this (I
like the first one but you might not). + and - symbols should be
obvious.

- ~*
- /lost+found/
+ **/home/user/backup

rsync -vpa --filter='. /path/to/rsync-filter' $source $destination

I didn't think '-a' option indicates compression at all, only 'archive'
and you might want '-u' option for update.

Craig

believed to be clean.