postgresql f10 hangs on shutdown

PostgreSQL hangs on shutdown causing me to have to hit the hardware
reset switch. Has anyone dealt with this issue? This has been occuring
to me for a long time, but since I cannot find much evidence as to why
it happens I haven't created a bug report.

Evidence so far:
-Before shutdown I can manually stop PostgreSQL successfully, but if I
forget and perform a shutdown/restart, it hangs on stopping postgresql.
-The process must be running for at least multiple hours. 4-8 hours
seems to be long enough. Otherwise it will shutdown OK.
-I don't even have to use a database for it to get into this bad state.

The shutdown process turns off NetworkManager, then sshd, then
postgresql, so I am unable to SSH in or log in to diagnose this issue.
Any pointers would be appreciated.