Re: Questions with rsync

GMS S wrote:
[
I would pretty much recommend that you specifically omit /dev and /proc
too.

Save the filter to a text file and make it look something like this (I
like the first one but you might not). + and - symbols should be
obvious.

- ~*
- /lost+found/
+ **/home/user/backup

rsync -vpa --filter='. /path/to/rsync-filter' $source $destination

I didn't think '-a' option indicates compression at all, only 'archive'
and you might want '-u' option for update.

Craig
]

So what would be the final command if I exclude these directory?

/lost+found
/media
/mnt
/dev
/proc
/home/user/backup
/dev

I use this sort of thing with a 500GB USB drive (automounted at
"/media/500GB-Drive" by Gnome):

	#!/bin/bash
	# Back up system to a specific directory given on the command
	# line or a default based on today's date.  Excludes the /proc,
	# /sys, /dev and /media directories
	MYHOST=`hostname`
	TODAY=`date +%d-%b-%Y`
	if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then
	    TGT="/media/500GB-Drive/$MYHOST-BackUp-$TODAY"
	else
	    TGT=$1
	fi

	rsync -avXA --exclude-from=/etc/skipdirs.rsync / $TGT

with /etc/skipdirs.rsync containing:

	/proc/*
	/sys/*
	/dev/*
	/media/*

Tweak as you see fit.
-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -