Re: Questions with rsync

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 10:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 03:02 -0700, GMS S wrote:
Will this command do the job for backup?

rsync -vpa / /home/user/backup
Er, isn't this recursive?

What I meant to say was "isn't this an infinite loop?" The entire
filesystem rooted at / is being copied into one of its subtrees.

The answer is that rsync is clever enough to avoid this (I tried it on a
test directory),

Try it a second time.

rsync ain't that smart. The only reason it worked the first time is that rsync built a list of files/directories to copy before it copied them. With rsync 3, it only builds that list for one directory at a time. Older versions built the entire list before beginning. You'll get different results with the two versions, IIRC.