Re: Where is eth0/eth1/assigned -

Mike Burger wrote:
    I am still struggling with this f10 install. It appeared that the
    NIC in eth0 was no good. I pulled it out and left the second card
    which was/is eth1.

    It looks to me like that designation eth1 might be changed to eth0
    using ethtool but if so, I can't find the right command.

    I have used service-config-network to set it up as 192.168.1.10 and
    eth1, network-scripts is set up for eth1. but no matter what I do a
    ping to another computer yields "Network is unreachable."

    This is a wired connection. I've tried a different cat5 cable.
    "ethtools eth1" looks ok compared to the other computers. Not sure
    what I have missed but it would be simpler perhaps if I could
    convince the NIC that it was eth0 instead of eth1 but I can't
    determine how that is set.

    Any help appreciated. I am about at wits end.

Actually, it's probably in your /etc/modprobe.conf file.

/etc/modprobe.conf is an empty file? Do I need to use it to change the eth designation? Don't know how
   but ...

   Bob