Where is eth0/eth1/assigned -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 4 20:46:57 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> It can be, but /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules tends to be
> more important - it maps the MAC address to the device name. Then
> you may also have the HWADDR=<MAC address> option in your
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg=eth? file. That will provent
> the interface from coming up if the MAC address of the NIC does not
> match.
>
> You can edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file, or you can delete it
> if you want to renumber the NICs. It will be re-created for you the
> next time you boot. Change the HWADDR= value requires you do edit
> the ifcfg-eth? file. (Hand edit or GUI.)
>
> Mikkel

    After making the udev change I rebooted and it complained of a file
    system error and requested fsck. It's churning through that now.
    This is an old computer that I probably shouldn't even be fooling
    with but I thought it might do some good and I might learn a few
    things in the process. The latter part is true at least!

    Thanks.

    Bob