Re: Where is eth0/eth1/assigned -

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
It can be, but /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules tends to be
more important - it maps the MAC address to the device name. Then
you may also have the HWADDR=<MAC address> option in your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg=eth? file. That will provent
the interface from coming up if the MAC address of the NIC does not
match.

You can edit the 70-persistent-net.rules file, or you can delete it
if you want to renumber the NICs. It will be re-created for you the
next time you boot. Change the HWADDR= value requires you do edit
the ifcfg-eth? file. (Hand edit or GUI.)

Mikkel

   After making the udev change I rebooted and it complained of a file
   system error and requested fsck. It's churning through that now.
   This is an old computer that I probably shouldn't even be fooling
   with but I thought it might do some good and I might learn a few
   things in the process. The latter part is true at least!

   Thanks.

   Bob