Re: network question - is this unusual?

On Friday 05 June 2009 14:41:31 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Isn't it unusual to connect the modem to the DSL socket on the router?
The
> > only time I've set up one where I had to use the supplied modem I used the
> > router as a switch, connecting the modem to one of the LAN sockets.
> >
> > Anne
> >
> It is very common when you have a modem that does not have a
> firewall/router build in. This is especially true when you only get
> one IP address, and use NAT so you can have more then one computer
> with access to the Internet. Most home users, as well as small
> business users, are using the firewall, dhcp server, and NAT
> features of the firewall/router.

I see. So I need to find out whether my daughter's BT router (with a single
connection socket) contains a firewall or not.

I would have preferred to get rid of it, but it seems to be tied in - they
don't allow you access to any settings whatsoever, as far as I can see, so
you can't just replace it with a standard router.

Anne