network question - is this unusual?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat Jun 6 16:56:41 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 14:41:31 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't it unusual to connect the modem to the DSL socket on the router?
>>>
> The
>
>>> only time I've set up one where I had to use the supplied modem I used the
>>> router as a switch, connecting the modem to one of the LAN sockets.
>>>
>>> Anne
>>>

>> It is very common when you have a modem that does not have a
>> firewall/router build in. This is especially true when you only get
>> one IP address, and use NAT so you can have more then one computer
>> with access to the Internet. Most home users, as well as small
>> business users, are using the firewall, dhcp server, and NAT
>> features of the firewall/router.
>>

> I see. So I need to find out whether my daughter's BT router (with a single
> connection socket) contains a firewall or not.
>
> I would have preferred to get rid of it, but it seems to be tied in - they
> don't allow you access to any settings whatsoever, as far as I can see, so
> you can't just replace it with a standard router.
>
> Anne

Some ISP are all about control and some make statements as if you
are too stupid or ignorant to understand.  If you are adventurous. you
might want to discover the make and model number of your modem
and then look it up on the Internet for a manual as to it's capabilities.

I have not found a modem that did not have an interface. If it did not,
then get another modem from another vendor that is compatible. If the
modem has an interface, make sure that you get the initial configuration
information initially before you change it, so that you can restore it when
things break.

The key here is, if you can get the modem into "bridge" mode which is
basically a pass-through, you can then connect the modem's Ethernet
cable to the router's WAN port and then configure the router's firewall
settings.