Re: Flood blocking

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

   I currently have one system I'm testing the following rules on:

   iptables -N SSHSCAN
   iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j SSHSCAN
   iptables -A SSHSCAN -m recent --set --name SSH
iptables -A SSHSCAN -m recent --update --seconds 300 --hitcount 2 --name SSH -j DROP

And just by watching it for the past few days, those rules seem to work pretty well. So, it made me wonder, can I apply the same rules for FTP and e-mail (with the correct port information of course.)

I get *a lot* of failed FTP attempts. Especially when the sun comes up in Asia. And then there's the e-mail spam that also doesn't stop. So, can I take those same set of rules above, replace the port number and name, and have them work for FTP and e-mail as well?

   Am I overlooking something really obvious?

Hi Ashley,

I had somebody pounding at a pop server so I applied a similar set of rules, different seconds and hitcount. Eventually the miscreant(s) got bored and went away.

I'd have to say yes.

hth, :m)