OpenVPN on Windows client

I've been using openvpn happily on various Fedora and CentOS machines,
but I was thinking of adding a Windows XP client.

All the examples I have seen on Windows-oriented HOWTOs
use tap, as opposed to tun.

(a) Must one use tap on Windows machines? and

(b) If so, does one have to go over to tap on the Linux server,
and so on all machines?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net