Re: Which directory contents I can remove??

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 17:32 -0700, gmspro wrote:
>> In windows xp I can delete the contents of temp directory.
>> In linux which directory contents I can remove?
>
> By convention, temporary files are in /tmp (sometimes /var/tmp). You can
> delete them as you would any other file, using "rm ...".
>
>> Is there any command to do that easily?
>> Or is there any graphical software that I can use for this purpose?
>
> Any of the graphical file managers.
>
> Be sure you understand the consequences of deleting temporary files
> before doing so, as there's no easy way to undelete files in Linux.
>
> poc

You will probably want to be careful about deleting the various
sockets in /tmp. This can lead to strange problems until you log
out, or in some cases reboot. (Strange as in unpredictable or
intermittent.)

Mike
--

Registered Linux User #16148  (http://counter.li.org/)