Re: network question - is this unusual?

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 17:09 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Yes, they are private network IPs (192.168.xxx.xxx) -- I was trying to
> distinguish between IPs that are fixed and the ones assigned by DHCP.
> Is the "static IP" term reserved for actual Internet addresses?

No.  Static means the address doesn't change ("fixed" is another name
for the same thing).  Typically, static addressing is *also* used in
reference to manually configured addresses, rather than some DHCP server
always serving the same address to the same device.  But that's static
addressing, too.

Dynamic being the opposite - the addresses change, or *may* change.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.