PS Re: Something bollixing packagekit

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 7 11:49:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 16:11 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --list NetworkManager'
> Password:
> NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$
>
>         -- which, alas!, is meaningless to me.

In run level 0 (shutdown), the service will be off.
In run level 1 (single), the service will be off.
In run level 2 (traditionally, few services running), the service will
be on.
In run level 3 (traditionally, no X running), the service will be on.
In run level 4, the service will be on.
In run level 5 (traditionally, X is running), the service will be on.
In run level 6 (rebooting), the service will be off.

Levels 3 and 5 being the usual run levels on a system that's being used.
Run level 1 and 2 being used to diagnose/fixup a system, but not a
normal operating condition.

Changing run levels will start and stop the service, as required.
Likewise, when you boot, the service will be started according to the
run level you boot up in.

If you manually start or stop a service, that doesn't change what will
happen automatically, when changing run levels or rebooting.  What was
configured to happen before, will still happen.  If you want to make a
permanent change, you need to change the run level defaults.

Changing the run level defaults won't start and stop a service.  If you
want to do that, too, then you need to start or stop it, separately.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.