Re: Flood blocking

Ed Greshko <Ed Greshko greshko com> writes:
> I don't see a problem since the type of block being proposed would not
> result in an SMTP 5XX permanent error.  It would simply result in a
> requeue of the email on the sending side in much the same way as the
> server being down on the receiving side or a network error between the
> servers.

I think you have to decide if such a thing is a good idea by asking
yourself what would happen if a larger percentage of the recipients did
this.  And if the mailing list were large, the server would be asked to
do quite a bit more work.  Normally mail gets delivered and is out of
the queue in a matter of seconds.  Some user with a losing SMTP server
such as this is asking the upstream to do extra work.  Some might agree,
others might not.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11