Running 2.6.27 on F11 instead of 2.6.29

Hello,

I wanted to check with you whether this is feasible before I attempted it. I use a ATI HD4870 so I _need_ the proprietary drivers for a working GUI. However they don't support 2.6.29 yet. So I was advised on the RPMFusion list, that if I really wanted to upgrade to F11, I install F11 downgrade the kernel to 2.6.27 and use akmod.

I had some concerns about the use of stronger hashes[1] in F11, but I was told they are backwards compatible. So my question is, would installing F11 and using the F10 kernel rpms to downgrade the kernel to 2.6.27 to use proprietary drivers from RPMFusion along with akmod be good idea?

I want to upgrade mostly because of XFCE 4.6. I wanted to get rid of Gnome completely and move to XFCE and Windowmaker. Gnome is too slow even on high-end hardware like mine. Sometimes simply opening Firefox or Thunderbird takes ages(5-10s). If someone were to tell me XFCE 4.6 would be available in F10 I would abandon all this jumping through hoops right away. :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Suvayu