Re: Problem using file /etc/ethers

Fau <dalamenona gmail com> writes:
> Greetings to anyone,
> i'm trying to reach a NAS that autoconfigure its IP address with DHCP,
> I can't foresee the address because I'm not the dhcp server administrator,
> so I put in /etc/ethers:
> 00:d0:4b:87:4a:ac 192.168.0.111

How was the dhcp admin intending for folks to use this NAS?  Typically
one assigns static addresses, either directly or via noticing the MAC
and taking special action in dhcpd.  This is how I get my laptop to come
up on the same address when it is plugged in at home. (Needed so I can
ssh to it and rdist updates to it.)  Your NAS case should be similar.

host ancho {
    # ancho ethernet
    hardware ethernet 00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    option host-name "ancho";
    fixed-address ancho.wsrcc.com;
}

Alternately you can just put the current NAS address in /etc/hosts and
play hunt and seek games finding it whenever its address changes.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11