Printing over network from VirtualBox

Has anyone figured out how to create a printer instance to print from a VirtualBox WinXP guest (on F10) to a network attached printer?

The docs did not help, nor did google. One 'answer' stated to enter //servername/printers/myprinter as the URI, with the implication that servername is the host computer the printer is connected to, and 'myprinter' is some descriptor of the actual printer.

This seems a little disconnected when dealing with a network capable printer (all puns intended).

In F10 my printer is called Netprinter2 and accessed as lpd://192.168.1.12/dummy (It's an HP3955 MFC). Various combinations of this info produced only an error box to the effect that Windows could not find a printer...
Can anyone help?

Geoff