F11 - monitor doesn't sleep

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 11 19:40:30 UTC 2009

My main desktop computer died on Saturday, so I just F11/x86_64 on a new i7-640
with a Radeon X1950 Pro video card.  (Gosh, alphabet soup anyone?)

I didn't need to do a darn thing with the video -- it just works.  However,
my monitor never goes to sleep any more.

I have xscreensaver installed and have it set up as follows:

Mode: Blank Screen Only    (Setting this to "Random  Screen Saver" makes no
difference -- it still doesn't sleep)
 Blank after 10 minutes
Cycle after 10 minutes
Advanced:
Display Power Management:
Power Management Enabled (checked)
Standby after 10 minutes
Suspend after 15 minutes
Off  after 20 minutes

[frankcox at mutt ~]$ xset -q
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeat delay:  176    repeat rate:  30
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffefffedffff
                        9fffffffffffffff
                        fff7ffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
  /usr/share/dosemu/Xfonts,catalogue:/etc/X11/fontpath.d,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 900    Off: 1200
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

My monitor is a 22" widescreen Acer AL2223W.

This same monitor did the sleeping thing just fine with my former computer
which had an ATI x1550 card in it.  With this new machine all that  happens is
that the screen goes blank (or run a random screensaver continuously,
depending on the setting), but the power light never turns orange to indicate
that it's sleeping.