Other host already uses address -

This is a fresh F-10 install on an HP dc5100 desktop. When I try to connect I get:

    "Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.8"

I did:

   chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off
   chkconfig --level 2345 network on

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

   DEVICE=eth0
   BOOTPROTO=none
   HWADDR=00:13:20:59:61:42
   IPV6ADDR=192.168.1.6/128
   IPV6INIT=yes
   IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
   ONBOOT=yes
   DNS1=208.67.220.220
   DNS2=208.67.222.222
   NM_CONTROLLED=no
   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
   IPADDR=192.168.1.6
   GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
   TYPE=Ethernet
   USERCTL=yes
   PEERDNS=yes

This is a dual boot since I left a small partition [10 gigs} with the original Windows XP pro that cam with the computer. I wonder if Windows is somehow getting the eth0 connection first?

How do I tell? I probably should have wiped it out completely but since the equipment has a short term guarantee I chose to leave Windows there just in case.

Any help appreciated.

Bob