OpenJDK / IcedTea is ###p

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 12 13:51:30 UTC 2009

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Works fine (in Firefox) with java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin-1.6.0.0-0.25.b09.fc9.
Also works fine with the F11 one according to Rahul Sundaram.

And FWIW, it also works in Konqueror if I enable Java (which uses its own
Java integration, not the plugin).

> PS: I think the installer should ask "do you want the Stallman-blessed JVM
> that causes more problems than it solves, or the Sun JRE that just woks ?"
> then it would proceed to contact the java.sun.com web site, display the
> EULA. and upon agreement proceed to install it. Sheesh. ;-)

Fedora does not support proprietary software. If you want it, you're on your
own. Fedora won't install it for you, you'll have to do it yourself. But
Sun Java is one of the least needed pieces of proprietary software now that
we have OpenJDK/IcedTea.

        Kevin Kofler