Other host already uses address -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jun 12 14:46:53 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Bob,
>  Just for fun, try changing the IP address in ifcfg-eth0
> 192.168.1.108 and see what happens.
>
> In the long term, you are going to want to set the Netgear router so
> that the IP address range of the DHCP server does not overlad your
> static IP addresses, or reserve the IP address you are using for
> static IP addresses. (LAN setup --> Starting IP address on the
> router.) What I have done is to have the router assign specific IP
> addresses to specific MAC addresses and then use dhcp on the clients
> instead of static IP addresses. This way, I can change things on the
> router, instead of each machine.
>
> Mikkel

I did that and the only thing that changes is that the error message
points to 108 instead of 8. I also associated the mac address with
192.168.1.108 in the router but that didn't make the difference either.
Something very unusual going on. Ive done this set up many times without
a hitch.

I see that there is also an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo in
box 108 that does not appear in this working box9 [192.168.1.9?

Now my grandson tells me his internet connection didn't work so he tried
pressing the reset button on his Wireless Ethernet Bridge!! It's an old
one I got on E-bay and now I have to google the instructions for how to
to access from Firefox it, a Linksys WET11-v2. I didn't need that.

Bob