Re: F11 dvd media errors

Once upon a time, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan gmail com> said:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 16:27 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Somewhere around Red Hat 9 I filed an RFE that any package it couldn't
> > read off CD/DVD it would let you go to the network to download. Sadly its
> > not been followed up in all the years since.
> >
> > In RH9 days it would have been quite hard, today it ought to be far
> > easier.
>
> Interesting thought. In fact there's no reason an install DVD can't
> offer you stuff that's not physically present. Maybe it'll come into its
> own for Fedora ??, when the full set of standard packages won't fit on a
> single-layer DVD :-)

Um, I'm pretty sure it already does that.  The network repos are listed,
you just have to click to enable them.

What Alan is talking about is a little more difficult, because you'd
have to have the network as a fall-back for the local media.  I believe
yum can do this with mirrors (if one fails, fall-back to another), but I
don't know how anaconda sets up the local and network repos.  If the
network was enabled, and if the repos were set up essentially with
file:/// as the preferred and network mirrors lower preference, the
fall-back should work.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>