Evolution hangs overnight

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:37:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 09:41 -0700, RS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am seeing a weird Evolution bug when i leave my PC on overnight. I've
> seen this for 3 days now. I switch off the monitor and when i return the
> next morning, I see Evolution not able to display the GUI properly
> (grayed out)..I have to force kill it and restart
>
> Any ideas on how to debug it during the hang?
>
> FC11 x86_64 GNOME, .29.167.fc11 kernel, Evolution 2.26.2

One thing that used to hang Evo for me was LDAP, which it was consulting
every time it loaded a message because I had set the preference "Do not
mark messages as Junk if the sender is in my address book", and did
*not* have "Lookup in local address book only".

If that's not it, strace might show something, but as Evo is
multithreaded it can be hard to figure out what's going on. Gdb is the
best bet, but first install the debuginfo packages to get useful
results: debuginfo-install evolution.

Then when it hangs do

        gdb /usr/bin/evolution `pidof evolution`

followed by

        thread apply all bt

Send the results to http://bugzilla.gnome.org. Of course you could also
start by searching that site for similar bugs.

poc