How to stop pulseaudio (Was: No audio on F11 and pulseaudio questions)

Despite a few useful suggestions to my earlier thread I can't stop
pulseaudio from respawning on F11. Does anyone know how to stop it?
I've searched /etc/event.d and /etc/init.d and can't see how it's
started or why it insists on respawning.

The reason I want to do this is that I have no audio and I'm trying to
figure out the cause.

TIA, Chris.