Fresh Fedora 11 fetches 362MB+ of updates, where's deltaRPM?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jun 12 18:37:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> said:
> > I have several computers and I'm not short of bandwidth (gosh,
> > it's nice to be able to say that) but it's still nice to be able
> > to get things done efficiently.  But Rahul said that some mirror
> > folks might prefer to avoid the extra processing required by the
> > deltarpm stuff in favour of the use of extra bandwidth.
>
> Is there additional processing needed on the mirrors?  I thought
> this was just the additional drpms directory as far as mirrors as
> concerned (which mirrors could exclude if desired and they'd be
> dropped from the appropriate mirrorlist files). -- Chris Adams
> <cmadams at hiwaay.net> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY
> Internet Services I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's
> enough trouble.

  where is this "362MB" of updates coming from?  immediately after i
installed, i switched yum to "keepcache" to have a record of all
updates in case i want to install on a 2nd system, and the updates
packages directory contains only 188M right now in 87 packages, and
there are no pending updates.

  this is on x86_64, by the way.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday