Disaster Solved

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Fri Jun 12 18:55:44 UTC 2009

On 6/10/2009 1:31 AM, homburg at tips-Q.com wrote:
> For some reason, my upgrade from F10 to 11 was incomplete.
> It turns out that it left the F10 KDE in place. Indeed, I
> had a bunch of F10 packages including libraries, scim and
> other critical components. For some reason, an earlier pass
> of yum did not update a bunch of stuff.
>
> I seem to have a stable, well working system again.

Had similar issues - see my posts in fedora-test-list if interested. I
couldn't even get x to start and went on a wild goose chase thinking it
was a video problem - it turned out to be kdm and/or kde. Going back to
gdm and starting gnome got my display finally, and then running updates
with a cleaned up and reconfigured smart cleaned up KDE - for me, yum
was also yielding lots of errors and refusing to run properly...wasn't
too big a deal. I'm assuming, since I run the KDE-Redhat repos and did
not change them to F11 before running preupgrade (I'm not even sure if
that would be the correct procedure), that that had something to do with
why KDE didn't update properly during the upgrade. All in all, it still
took less time than a complete reinstall and reconfig from scratch of a
fairly complex production server. I'm not sure why yum came up so
borked...that was also fixed by updates but I'm not sure what prevented
those updates from happening during the upgrade.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD