Re: Other host already uses address -

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bob Goodwin wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Bob,
 Just for fun, try changing the IP address in ifcfg-eth0
192.168.1.108 and see what happens.

I did that and the only thing that changes is that the error message
points to 108 instead of 8. I also associated the mac address with
192.168.1.108 in the router but that didn't make the difference either.
Something very unusual going on. Ive done this set up many times without
a hitch.

This is really strange. Could you post the output of "ifconfig -a"
after this happens? Does the box show more then one ethx interface?
It's difficult without the ethernet connection, I would have to type it manually. but in addition to eth0 or 1 and lo, I also have an pan0? I do not show that on this "good" computer? I tried plugging in a PCI ethernet card but the "probe" function in the network setup GUI doesn't see it and if I try to connect it acts like the card is not there. However I see a different mac address in the ifconfig pan0 which I assume is the address of that second card. I think I made all the required entries network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ...

Today has been nothing but aggravation, unsolved problems, the kids internet, the JD lawn mower, aargh! I'm baking some bread, hope that works.
I see that there is also an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo in
box 108 that does not appear in this working box9 [192.168.1.9?

You should have an ifcfg-lo and it should look like this:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

Mikkel