Re: OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:49:03 -0400,
  Robert L Cochran <cochranb speakeasy net> wrote:

> Thanks to all who answered. I'm anxious to try out Alan's "security
> erase" suggestion on a much newer drive. It appears to be a lot less
> labor intensive.

If you are really worried about this, set up encrypted partitions when
you install on the new drive, so the unencrypted bits (other than stuff
in /boot) never get to the drive in the first place.