Re: OpenJDK / IcedTea is ###p

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Major Péter wrote:
> And why am I using Sun JDK? Because it's waaaay faster, then the
> OpenJDK

Huh? Are you sure? OpenJDK uses the same HotSpot VM the Sun JDK uses!

I´m confused on this issue because "project harmony" included some "clean room" code from Intel, and intel people was pushing for the FOSS Java to include their code.

Plus there was GNU Classpath, which was compatible with some older JVM 1.4 spec.

Frankly, a mess. In my view now that Sun has GPL´ed their code, it´s silly to continue with legacy compatible code that just adds noise and potential compatibility problems.

How frequently does Sun add JRE code and bug fixes "upstream" to the OpenJDK project is the key question, IMHO...

I have read that "most of" the JavaFX code, for instance, is released under the GPL, but I´m sure there´s stuff in there (like the hooks to On2´s MPEG4 video codec) that are encumbered with patent issues....

FC