Re: Updates

2009/6/14 Martín Marqués <martin marques gmail com>:
> 2009/6/14 Sharpe, Sam J <sam sharpe+lists redhat gmail com>:
>>
>> To answer my own question, if you've pre-upgraded from a recent F10 to
>> F11, you will still have the fc10 version of unique as it's a higher
>> version (1.2-8) than the version shipped with F11 (1.2-7). I guess as
>> versions move on, that will sort itself out.
>
> Can someone explain how something like this happens?
>
> I saw the same thing happen with ntp.

Yes.

You freeze Rawhide as you are about to release Fedora n+1, at the
point you freeze, applications are roughly at the same version levels
as those in Fedora n. You make some updates to Fedora n in response to
bugs or security issues, but you don't want to prejudice your Fedora
n+1 testing cycle, so you queue the same updates for *after* Fedora
n+1 releases.

Someone then runs pre-upgrade from Fedora n to Fedora n+1, at which
point any package in Fedora n which is newer than the package of the
same name in Fedora n+1 is not replaced - so you end up with a small
number of packages from "Fedora n - Updates" in your Fedora n+1
install.

I'm pretty sure I explained this better before, but I've made it
generic so the same explanation will apply for a F10-11 preupgrade as
an F11-12 preupgrade ;o)

--
Sam