Funny mailer problem - BAD MSG^M

Rick Walker walker at omnisterra.com
Tue Jun 16 00:44:59 UTC 2009

> On 06/14/2009 02:51 PM, Rick Walker wrote:^M
> > BAD MSG:^M
> ^M
>   Could it be your .procmailrc or some anti-spam filter gone awry  ?^M

We'll it only started immediately after the upgrade.  I don't think an
upgrade can cause off-site problems, so something probably changed in
Fedora functionality or default modes of operation.

I did a find on /usr/bin/ and found that the nmh inc program contains
the "BAD MSG" string.  Another hint is that all incoming messages are
now terminated with carriage returns (^M).

I fixed the problem by adding "stripcr" to fetchmail's rc file..  I used
to have "forcecr" in the .fetchmailrc and it never caused a problem.
I'm guessing that inc(1) has changed it's behavior and is no longer
happy with carriage return delimiters.

--
Rick