NFS ports?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Jun 16 11:23:15 UTC 2009

        Aldo Foot wrote:
>         On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Bob Goodwin<bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>
>>           It appears to me that NFS requires ports 111 and 2049, both of which
>>           I have opened in the firewall via firestarter.  But that doesn't
>>           seem to be enough, after struggling to make a connection  it also
>>           needed some high numbered ports, right now, 43509, but that changes
>>           from time to time. I have to keep checking the firestarter events
>>           log on both the server and client to see what needs to be opened. I
>>           usually block by defaullt and open only the ports needed. Perhaps
>>           that wont work with NFS?
>>
>>           If anyone can offer some suggestion I would appreciate it.
>>
>>           Bob
>>

>         Read the source[1] and eSearch for "nfs static ports". You'll
>         get your answer by the time you're done reading.
>
>         [1] http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s2-sysconfig-nfs.html
>
>         The key file is /etc/sysconfig/nfs.
>
>         ~af

        Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

        Use nfs4?  One of the features is that ports don't move around.  In
        fact you only need one port, 2049/tcp.

             http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-nfsv4.html

        Fedora works just fine with only nfs4 enabled and has for the last
        couple of releases.

        -wolfgang

        Thanks to both of you for some very good help. The man page contains a lot of information and although it referred to nfs4, etc. I could not make the connection with the symptoms I saw.

        Thanks for the help.

        Bob