Re: sha256sun

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM, terry<xtlynne charter net> wrote:
> Not quite. You want to -c against the small CHECKSUM file, which contains
> a list of ISOs and their sha256sums. For example:
> $ sha256sum -c Fedora-11-i386-CHECKSUM
>

> I don't get it! you want me to match a downloadable checksum text file to
> what? how do i get the numbers from the iso file to check against the
> checksums? you are not telling me  all. you are falsely assuming i know more
> than i do.am I
> not trying to match the checksums with what the developer says they are to
> be against what the file contains to insure that the iso file isn't
> corrupted and reduce later grief during install.
_____

The filename "Fedora-11-i386-CHECKSUM" is arbitrary. You can call it
anything you want as long as it has the contents of the GPG key
provided by the distro[1], just click on the checksum link and copy
its contents to a text file.

[1] http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/11/Fedora/i386/iso/

~af