F11 bind-chroot - a question?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jun 17 02:36:35 UTC 2009

Mail Lists wrote:
> On 06/16/2009 12:37 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Mail Lists:
>>> That is just bad app design - the app needs to learn about which
>>> root to use for the config files - should be settable.
>>
>> And what's that going to do when a user who has a chrooted system,
>> but doesn't understand this, creates their own /etc/named.conf
>> file?  (A common enough occurrence.)
>
> Err .. serious question ? if bind-chroot is installed the default
> root path is the chrooted one for the config app.

If the concern is applications needing to determine whether bind is
configured for a chroot or not, I think the application should be
checking /etc/sysconfig/named for the ROOTDIR variable.

> For any real DNS, I'm kind of hard pressed to imagine a DNS admin as
> clueless as you suggest .. but ya never know ...

Ha.  Indeed you don't.  There are some very clueless 'admins' in this
silly world. :)

The future isn't what it used to be.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke