OT - Success! - The new Palm Pre, Google Calendar and Kontact

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Wed Jun 17 13:02:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 11:58 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi all;
>

> Just wanted to share a bit of info per the Palm Pre in case anyone
> else has gotten one or is thinking about it.
>

> I picked up a new Palm Pre on Sunday - The phone rocks!!
> I setup a google calendar and I installed the GCALDaemon package and
> configured it to sync with Kontact per this page:
> http://soft.zoneo.net/Linux/ggcal_and_kontact.php
>

> Now I can 3 way sync, the google calendar and my local Kontact
> calendar auto-sync every 5 minutes and I get a full sync between the
> phone & my google calendar every time I do a manual sync (apparently
> there's no auto-sync on the Pre). I've tested multiple scenarios and
> outside loosing the alarm preset for appts coming from google to
> Kontact everything is working perfectly.

Well... Now I *would* like to see more of an OpenSync style package
available in the repos that also had the ability to do a network based
sync (taking advantage of that built-in WiFi). I'd also would like to
see that integrated well with all of the available calendars and other
apps available on F11.

But on this point I must agree: The Pre absolutely does rock!!! Based on
having used mine for just a few days now, I can confidently say that
Apple and the iPhone have some serious, formidable competition on their
hands - including the new iPhone 3Gs.

Hopefully we'll see more packages and integration tools show up for the
Pre soon.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw