OT Qwest dsl gotchas for linux, F10 x86_64

stan gryt2 at q.com
Thu Jun 18 05:53:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 22:10:31 -0500
Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 07:01:04 -0700,
>   stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:
> >
> > Qwest makes no secret of the fact they do not support linux, and
> > there were some issues that cost me several hours to resolve
> > because of that. Several times I just about chucked in the towel
> > and reactivated
>
> In theory it shouldn;t matter.

Yeah, I agree.  Cox doesn't support linux either.  :-)  But there is a
cox web page with all the info needed to set everything up manually;  I
just plugged it in and it worked.

> > First, dsl uses pppoe so you need a userid and password to access
> > the internet, unlike cable. And if you use a router behind your
> > modem,
>
> Crappy dsl requires this. If you have quality dsl service, you should
> get a static ip and you shouldn't need to use pppoe.

They will give static ip for an extra charge ($5.95) per month.  Didn't
realize it fixed this.  Didn't realize this was an issue until it
happened.  :-)  Transparent to me now that it is working.

 Just make sure wherever you host your stuff you have
> a way to make back ups that are in your possesion and in a format you
> can do something with. So that if something happens you can move your
> stuff to another hosting provider.

Good point.  The hosting providers I'm looking at have been around for
about 10 years, but they could be gone tomorrow.  It seems to be a very
competitive industry.  And on the same note I need to be sure the domain
name they provide is mine, not theirs.  As Tim pointed out, losing a
domain can be problematic;  that doesn't change whether it is lost
because I leave my ISP or because my hosting service changes by my
action or theirs.