Ultimate Fedora partition scheme ?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:54:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Jussi Lehtola <
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 14:38 +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > With 120GB available and with this ideas in mind would this partition
> > scheme work or you have better ideas:
> > sda1 ; /boot ; 200MB ; ext3 ; fedora boot
> > sda2 ; / ; 10GB ; ext4 ; root partition for fedora
> > sda3 ; / ; 10GB ; ext4 ; root for ubuntu (it doens't need extra /boot
> partition)
> > sda5; 100GB ; extended partiton
> > sda6; 20GB ; PV_1 for LVM (LVM physical volume)
> > sda7; 20GB ; PV_2 for LVM
> > sda8; 20GB ; PV_3 for LVM
> > sda9; 20GB ; PV_4 for LVM
> > sda10; 20GB ; PV_5 for LVM
>
> Uhh.. IMHO there is no sense whatsoever to create multiple LVM
> partitions on a single hard drive. You can manage with a couple small
> boot partitions, and the rest of stuff on LVM. When the partitions are
> in LVM, you can resize them whenever necessary.

To elaborate on what Jussi said, partitions 5-10 are completely unnecessary
and defeat the purpose of LVM. You don't really need 2 & 3. I could see you
using two different Volume Groups (one for Fedora and one for Ubuntu) but
that's about it, and that isn't strictly needed. You would have one large
partition of the remainder of the space after your boot partition. Create a
volume group and then as many logical volumes as you need under that.

Not too long ago I didn't like LVM but that was from not understanding how
to use it but after reading up on it a bit I've found it quite useful. One
word of caution. I used the system-config-lvm once to create a volume group
after adding another drive. It doesn't create a partition when creating a
volume group (you can use a whole drive without a partition but it's not
reccomended.) So use parted or fdisk to create the partition first in this
situation. When I installed F11 (with a whole drive as /home) Anaconda
didn't recognize it so I had to install with / only and then map in /home
after install.

Richard