f10: evolution: very slow when start it

Hi, when I start Evolution the program is ready after 3/4 minutes and
during this time the CPUs are 100% of usare, the notebook (2 CPUs
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 2.00GHz and 3Gb RAM) is unusable.

My local evolution mail folder is 3 GB of size.

is this a problem?
there is a limit for size of local mail store?
there is some thinks that I can do for speed the start-up of evolution?

Many Thanks

--
Dario Lesca <d lesca solinos it>