Re: Ultimate Fedora partition scheme ?

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:38:08 +0200
Valent Turkovic wrote:

> I'm wondering what tricks do you use when you are creating partition
> schemes for your laptop or desktop...

For the ultimate multi-boot machine I setup at work to have as many
different linux distros as possible for testing tools under different
systems, I was initially stymied by the fact that /boot can't be
in an LVM and if I don't use LVM I can't have more than 15 (or
is it 12?) partitions. I finally concocted a ridiculous scheme
which actually works well: I have a single 60MB /boot partition
shared by all my different test installs by using dd to copy
/boot out to a plain file or into /boot from a plain file depending
on which system I want to boot. A few shell scripts and grub
tricks to automate things, and each linux thinks it has
its very own /boot so they don't interfere with each other :-).