Baffled by a Cable Modem

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jun 18 15:52:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 18:21:14 -0600,
  Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:54:02 -0500
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
> > Will the modem give the same IP address to another NIC after the
> > lease has expired, or after you power-cycle the modem?
>
> I'm not entirely sure of the answer to that.  I know that power-cycling the
> modem doesn't change anything in that regard, and further than that I've never
> asked about.  If I need a modem reset I just call the NOC with the serial
> number on the modem, the modem lights go off for a few seconds, and when it
> comes back the reset is complete.

If you think the mac address is the problem you should be able to test that
theory by setting the mac address of the linux box to match the windows box
and see if that gets things working.

Add a line like the following to the ifcfg-eth? file (and you may need to
be running the network service as I don't know if network manager uses
that info):

MACADDR=DE:C1:A5:51:F1:ED

Except you want to use the mac address of the windows box.

You'll want the windows box off the network when you try this.