Kernel 2.6.30

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jun 18 22:14:53 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:44:17 +0900, Misha wrote:
>
>> В Чтв, 18/06/2009 в 00:44 -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto пишет:
>>> koji is the fedora build system
>>>
>>> there are a 2.6.30 compiled in koji.
>> I am using F10. Would it be safe for me to install
>> kernel-2.6.29.5-84.fc10 from koji? Or even kernel-2.6.30-6.fc12 keeping
>> in mind I'm no tester? :-)
>
> The F10 kernel build you refer to is pending as a future test-update:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/kernel-2.6.29.5-84.fc10,hal-0.5.12-15.20081027git.fc10

To your original question, no. Getting any software from koji, rawhide, or even
updates-testing involves a certain risk factor. I am not saying "don't do it,"
just that you asked if it was safe, and the answer is no, or at least "not really."

Kernel 2.6.30 has a LOT of new stuff in it, unless you have a need for something
new or want to start being a tester, you might wait on this one, or try it in a
VM first. VM is addictive, I have f{9,10,11,rawhide} VMs, all four major BSD
flavors, and Solaris. Oh, and a Win7 beta with about 20 minutes uptime on it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>