networking problem

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jun 19 00:15:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 17:51 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I recently added a D-Link wireless router to a network in which
> > everything (except a new netbook computer) is connected by ethernet
> > cables. I also use static addresses. Here's the setup:
> >
> > DSL modem --> Linksys router --> D-Link router --> wireless netbook
> > 		    -----------> eternetted computers
> >
> > Using a browser on the netbook I can access configuration menus for both
> > routers, which seems to indicate that the wireless network was set up
> > correctly and that the cable between the two routers is working.
> >
> > I cannot access the configuration menu of the DSL modem from the
> > netbook, although I can do this from any of the other computers.
> >
> > Consistent with this, I cannot access the Internet from the netbook,
> > either with named or with IP addresses.
> >
> > If I connect the netbook to the Linksys router with an ethernet cable I
> > can access the Internet without problems.
> >
> > In configuring the D-link modem I followed the instructions for
> > connecting to another router in the manual: disabling UPnP and DHCP and
> > changing the D-link's LAN address to an available address on my network.
> > I also used a LAN port on the D-link (not the Internet/WAN port) to
> > connect the D-link to the Linksys, as instructed.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this isn't working?
> >
> > If this problem is too off-topic for this group I would appreciate any
> > suggestions of where else to look.
> >
> You may want to check that the default route is being set properly.
> Are you using dhcp or a static configuration on the netbook?
>
> Mikkel

I have a static configuration set on the netbook that references the
address of the D-link router (192.168.1.2) as the gateway. The manual
says that when connecting the D-link to some other router (rather than
directly to the Internet) DHCP on the D-link must be disabled.

It seems that with the way I have things set up there's no "logical"
D-link -> Linksys path -- I can't find any place in the D-link network
configuration menu for setting the gateway address of the Linksys
(192.168.1.1).

The "free" tech at D-link (or I suspect somewhere in India) warned me in
advance that he would have absolutely nothing to say about linksys or
linux.