checksum suggestion

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 19 01:00:53 UTC 2009

There is little doubt that sometime soon some fiendish
mathematician somewhere will discover that sha256sum
is really hopelessly broken and only a fool would ever
have used it, then we'll all have to switch to
shaalephnullsum or some such :-).

How about we forestall all this nonsense by creating
a new rpm that just has one symlink in it named

best-sum

Then everyone can just always use the best-sum program
when checking isos, etc and when a new release comes
out, it can come with a new best-sum package that installs
the appropriate symlink to the appropriate actual
checksum tool :-).